30.3.15

Through the Looking Glass: Luisa Hansal

DSC_5873.jpg

LUISA HANSAL, visual artist 


So a few major exciting things have happened in the past 12 months and the next 12 are likewise, going to be notoriously B.I.G. in the change department.  One of these things is Simon & my impending house (which will be taking shape over the course of this year!!) - such "adult" decisions and things that we're just coming to terms with.  That, along with cooking food for ourselves and doing the laundry.

One great thing about having a place in-the-making to call our own is being able to commence the hoarding of homewares, accoutrements, and ART!  We just so happened to stumble upon a really rad little exhibition put together by Luisa on our return from Bali, and hyped up on the many "mature-aged" things we had already done that day (washing - check, grocery shopping - check), adding our first piece of art to our collection put the icing on the cake.  

What I loved about Luisa's work was the intricacy of the pieces, the harmonious bold colours, and not to forget the deliberate use of glitter and/or risqué photos.  If only my mother wouldn't be so shocked to see a nude hanging in our house.  I'm kicking myself because I didn't take nearly enough photos to show off how meticulously created her work was (as Simon's definition of "art" is something he wouldn't be able to recreate himself" - this definitely checked that box).  

Anyway, Luisa agreed to do our little e-interview, which I hope piques your interest in seeking out and supporting our local emerging artists!  Check it out after the jump.



Roll call - who are you and what do you do?


Hi! I’m Luisa Hansal.

24 yrs old.

Born in New Zealand.
I am an emerging artist, living and working in Mount Lawley, Perth.



Tell us a bit about how you started being an artist?

I go a bit insane if I’m not doing something creative.  I got totally hooked on art when I went to art school and I just decided that life is better and a lot more interesting when I’m making things. 


DSC_5883.jpg
DSC_5880.jpg



Name a few influences on your artistic style

I’m not big on having key influences that determine my artistic style.  I know who and what I like, and its inevitable that certain colours, techniques, subject matter etc. might be mirrored in my own art, but when I’m in my studio working it's such a personal and almost spiritual-like place to be in that daily influences drift away and it's just me and my work and how I’m feeling at the time that determine the overall composition/mood/tone. 

To name a few artists that keep me motivated to never stop making art; Louise Bourgeois, Tracey Emin, Yayoi Kusama, Del Kathryn Barton, Pip & Pop, Kikki Smith.


Your recent exhibition showcased your use of a range of different media - what would be your favourite to work with?

That’s such a tough question!!! I really couldn’t choose. They all work together like a big happy, yet dysfunctional family... which makes them all so beautiful and exciting to use. 



Untitled
Untitled


You have showcased your work in a number of Perth galleries - which ones would you recommend for people to see emerging artists like yourself? 

Free Range Gallery, Little Wing Corner Gallery, Paper Mountain, Spectrum Project Space, Moana, Studio 281, The Bird. These spaces are all so amazing!! There are so many beautiful, passionate, innovative and energetic creative humans keeping Perth alive and exciting. 


Any hints on when your next exhibition will be?

I’m actually in a group show this weekend. It’s at the old (soon to be demolished) Dark Zone in Northbridge.  A great bunch of Perth artists are involved and it’s a really awesome space.  Opening night corresponds with Earth hour so it’s an exhibition in the dark!


Name 3 people who influence your personal style?

Such a tough question. I don’t know if anyone directly influences my style but if I had to pick 3 of the most stylish people I can think of it would have to be Grimes, Patti Smith and Chloe Sevingy.



What is one interesting quirk about you?


Ummmm growing up I moved around a lot.  By the time I graduated highschool I had been to 12 schools.


Your favourite kind of tea?

Black Coffee, no sugar.


Sketch yourself in your favourite outfit


Favourite outfit is no outfit. This is what I wear when I get into bed at night and its the best feeling in the world haha.


photo


You can check out Luisa's blog here, or her Facebook page here!  Or perhaps instagram floats your boat?  In which case look up @zenzizenzizenzic1

Thanks Luisa for the awesome chat and the thought-provoking work!

T




SHARE THIS POST

No comments:

Post a Comment

We take time to read each and every comment - thanks for visiting Le.Fanciulle!

Le.Fanciulle. All rights reserved. © Maira Gall.